Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Palace welcomes US intention to return Balangiga Bells

August 12, 2018 3:46 AM
13 0
Palace welcomes US intention to return Balangiga Bells

This May 2001 photo shows the two bells of Balangiga at the F.E. Warren Air Force Base outside Cheyenne, Wyoming, that signaled an attack by Filipino insurgents on occupying American troops in 1901. (AP FILE PHOTO)

Malacañang welcomed on Sunday the intention of the United States to bring the Balangiga Bells back to the country.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that they have already been informed by the announcement of US Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis.

“We welcome this development as we look forward to continue working with the United States Government in paving the way for the return of the bells to the Philippines,” Roque said in a statement.

On Saturday, the US Embassy in Manila said in a statement that Mattis has informed the Congress that the defense department plans to return the Balangiga Bells.

“We are aware that the Bells of Balangiga have deep significance for a number of people, both in the United States and in the Philippines,” the embassy said.

However, the date of the return for the controversial Bells of Balangiga has yet to be finalized.

In September last year, President Rodrigo Duterte appealed to the US Congress to grant President Donald Trump the authority to return the bells.

Source: globalnation.inquirer.net

Share in social networks:

Comments - 0