Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

‘Kulot’ laid to rest

September 13, 2017 2:23 AM
24 0
‘Kulot’ laid to rest

Reynaldo De Guzman, the boy found floating in a creek in Gapan City, Nueva Ecija, was finally laid to rest Wednesday as his parents maintained that the body was of their son’s.

In an emotionally-charged funeral, De Guzman’s family, neighbors, friends and supporters gathered to give their final respects to the boy, whose identity was put into question after the Philippine National Police’s (PNP) test that claimed the body’s DNA did not match those of his parents’.

De Guzman’s parents, Eduardo Gabriel and Lina De Guzman, insisted that the body was of their son’s, whom they identified through a wart on his left knee and scar on his neck.

The parents, who would be put into the Witness Protection Program’s (WPP) custody after the burial, were guarded by forces of the WPP’s Intelligence Security Operations Group and members of the Volunteers against Crime and Corruption.

De Guzman’s funeral convoy started at around 8:30 a.m. from his neighborhood in Anakpawis 2 in Cainta, Rizal to San Antonio Abad Parish in Maybunga, Pasig City, where a eulogy Mass was held.

Parish priest Fr. Jun Sanchez called for justice for the slain teen as he urged the country’s leaders to stop politicking and instead focus on the pressing issues the people face.

“Sa ating mga lider, sana po iwasan na ang pamumulitika, tapos na ang kampanya, tapos na ang eleksyon, marami po tayong problemang dapat harapin,” Sanchez said.

(To our leaders, please stop politicking. The campaign season is done, the election is over. We still have a lot of problems to face.)

Fondly called as Kulot, De Guzman was remembered as a good kid by his family and friends and great errand boy by his neighbors.

The 14-year-old was found Sept. 5 floating in Kinamatayang Kabayo creek in the village of San Roque in Gapan City. His body riddled with 30 stab wounds and his head wrapped in a plastic and packing tape.

A Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) autopsy report indicated De Guzman was killed within 24 hours before he was dumped into the creek.

He was last seen on Aug. 18 with another slain teen, 19-year-old Carl Angelo Arnaiz, after they went out for midnight snacks.

Arnaiz was found dead 10 days later in a morgue in Caloocan City, killed in an alleged shootout with the police after mugging taxi driver Tomas Bagcal.


Share in social networks:

Comments - 0