Founded on August 12, 1887, the National Library of the Philippines has archived millions of pages of Philippine materials for 131 years now
Formerly known as the Museo-Biblioteca de Filipinas, the National Library was founded on August 12, 1887 under a royal decree issued by the Spanish government. The library was formally inaugurated on October 24, 1891.
During the American period, Museo-Biblioteca de Filipinas was abolished and the American Circulating Library (ACL) was established in its place.
In 1909, the ACL was renamed the Philippine Library under Public Act No. 1935. In 1916, it was extended as the Philippine Library and Museum, after merging with the Division of Archives, Patents, Copyrights and Trademarks, and the Law Library of the Philippine Assembly then.
It was named the National Library in 1928, and was later renamed the Bureau of Public Libraries in 1947 under the Office of the President. The Bureau reverted to its old name in 1964. The NLP got its present name in 2010 pursuant to Republic Act No. 10087.
the first Philippine novel. His name is also engraved in history as one of the people who played a key role in the birth of the Philippine nation after leading negotiations in the Pact of Biak-na-Bato and after being elected president of the Malolos Congress in 1898.